Friday, April 8, 2011

What's it called when the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie? I always seem to forget...

All right, I'm not gonna lie. (I'm a pretty blunt person, so I don't usually lie, anyway.) I'm getting sick of the whole thirty-day challenge thing. Today is day three. I realize I have a very short attention span, but this is just ridiculous! My goal is to do at least ten of the thirty days. That's realistic, right? I certainly hope so.

Day 3: Your first love. First love? Me? Wow. Where do I start? I am seventeen years old. I've had a lot of first loves. (Not the way you're thinking, though, I'll bet.) In my opinion, every person experiences hundreds of "first loves" in their lifetimes. Every love is a first love, in its own way. While not all first loves are people, some do end up lasting for a lifetime.

When I was three, I realized I had a love for books, and for sounding out words. Around the same time, I realized I loved mashed potatoes. (Both of these loves have lasted through my ages, by the way.) When I was five, I was in a Sunday school class with all boys. One Sunday, we had a lesson on temple marriage. One of the little boys proclaimed to the class: "Someday, I'm going to marry Lisa!" I did not like that one bit. My reply? "Nuh-uh! I'm going to marry my Daddy!" Needless to say, I've always been a bit of a daddy's girl. When I was nine, I fell in love with the feeling of reeling in a fish by myself. At the age of ten I became infatuated with all the heroes of Jane Austen's novels, and the movies that accompanied them, along with countless other classy British men. In ninth grade I discovered the act of singing alto. At fifteen I fell for the sky, and I've never really been the same since. I've always had an immense love for rain, as well. I don't think any single thing has answered my most heartfelt of prayers as many times as rain has. At sixteen I found a renewed love for independence, as often comes with obtaining a driver's license. And at my current age of seventeen, I've fallen in love with the feeling of wet clay between my fingers, walking around with only socks on my feet, and the beautiful campus of Utah State University. Somewhere along the way, I fell in love with laughter, with ice cream, with friendships, and somehow I even learned to love myself.

Every person has a list like this. The list goes on forever and ever... You can't possibly list all of the things you love. But sometimes it's a very good thing to try. That way, you can realize just how grateful you are, or how grateful you should be. Tender mercies are everywhere, and they come out in the things you love. I love the Lord. I know He's watching out for me. He sends me blessings every day, and I'm so very grateful.

1 Nephi 1:20: "...the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."

We have all been chosen. It's just a matter of finding the faith to acknowledge the tender mercies the Lord is sending our way.

Doctrine & Covenants 58:18-21:
"18. Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please they eye and to gladden the heart;
19. Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strenthen the body and to enliven the soul.
20. And it pleaseth God that he hath given all these things unto man; for unto this end were they made to be used, with judgment, not to excess, neither by extortion.
21. And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments."

I love these verses so very much. Like I said earlier, the sky and rain have served as answers to prayer more times than I can even count. This scripture helps me know that I'm not crazy for thinking of it that way. Verse 21 gives me the chills. Having and showing gratitude is so important. I really wish I could remember that all the time. I'm working on it, though. And I'm not working on it alone. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I truly and sincerley love this. And you :) It's so good to know that someone thinks like I do too. Your blog is one of my favorites to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You FISH!? And read Jane Austen. Goodness, Lisa. I'd say that we just about have to be friends. At least I think so. And of course you aren't crazy for thinking that the sky and rain are answers to your prayers! The Lord's hand is in everything and He is always looking for ways to pour out the blessings on us. Loved, loved, loved this post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete